Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 11, Day 3: Rouen

At the tender age of 17, I made my first trip abroad, thanks to the generosity of my aunt Leah and uncle Marvin. I signed up for a 9-week study tour and spent 6 of those weeks with a host family outside of Rouen, in Normandy. Jacques and Nicole were about 10 years older than I was and had two little children: Frédérique, 4, and Benoît, 1. We became great friends that summer, and we have stayed in touch ever since. Jacques and Nicole have visited us in the US, and I have visited them in France; but this was Christoforos' first opportunity to see them on their home turf.

We got up early and took a train from the Gare St. Lazare. They met us at the station and we proceeded to pack  into one day enough memories to last a lifetime!

Click on any picture to enlarge it.

Ch in front of La Couronne, the oldest inn in France  (Place du Vieux Marché)
Place du Vieux Marché, Rouen (This is where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.)
Rouen street
Fountain 
Me with Jacques and Nicole, 40+ years after our first summer together
More from our day in Rouen later.

No comments:

Post a Comment